This year, Anniversary Sunday will be celebrated on August 2, 2026. The congregation is 64!
This post highlights a few of the big picture details from the congregation's history.
The group of people who became known as Westminster first began to first meet in Johnson Street Public School in 1958. We were a local extension project by St. Andrew’s Church, in the growing east end of Barrie.
The first Sunday School Superintendent was Dorothy MacPherson, assisted by Elwood Ney. Two of the original students from that first class are still a part of our congregation, Mary Crann and Mary Colvin.
On December 19, 1960, 2.59 acres of land were purchased. One of the main benefactors of the church was Eldon Tuck, who gave what became land for three building lots.
The congregation was officially established on June 3, 1962. This was under the guidance of our first ordained minister, the Rev. Malcolm Summers.
The sod was turned at 170 Steel Street on May 31, 1964 by Dorothy MacPherson. You can see the shovel from that special day still hanging in the foyer.
The cornerstone of this building was laid on September 13 by William Rainford, and the building was dedicated to God’s glory on December 13, 1964. The new wing where the Fellowship Hall is now located was dedicated on October 25, 1998.
The church is, of course, much more than a building. It is the people with their Lord. We have been through many different seasons of life. Through it all we have sung together, prayed, studied the Bible, laughed, cried, cared for each other, shared the good news, celebrated Sacraments, served the community, and followed Christ.
May our gracious God continue to bless us and guide us as we move into the future under his care, and as we continue the work of Jesus in his world. Praise the Lord!